Frequently Asked Questions
There are many different kinds of mold. Naturally, mold grows outdoors and is an important part of the decomposition process, however when it begins to grow inside a home it can cause problems for not only your home’s structure but your health.
Some common types of mold are Penicillium/Aspergillus and cladosporium. Black mold, which is toxic and can cause severe respiratory issues, is called stachybotrys and Chaetomium.
Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints. There is no practical way to eliminate 100% of mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; therefore, it is crucial to get an inspection/mold assessment.
While most types of mold aren’t toxic, they can still cause health problems if they aren’t taken care of. The most common types of health problems are allergies, allergic reactions (which can be severe), sinus infections, lung inflammation, respiratory infections, asthma attacks and breathing problems.
Black mold and other toxic molds can cause asthma attacks, fatigue, depression, sinus infections and severe breathing issues.
The Environmental Protection Agency advises hiring a professional mold inspector, because exposure to molds can be dangerous – especially without the proper equipment.
If you find any molds, you would need to take a sample and send it into a lab for testing to ensure that it wasn’t a toxic mold.
It would be pretty costly to purchase the right equipment and get the lab results. You could also miss a spot that contained mold, and the continuous growth of mold in your home will cause health problems.